Friday, March 30, 2012

Kool-Aid Popcorn


I recently did a  "Rock-a-Bye-Baby" baby shower and I wanted all my food to fit within the theme. One of the items was my pop star popcorn I made using kool-aid.  It adds flavor and color all at once. I was nervous to try berry flavored popcorn, but I liked it... A LOT! 

Here is how you can make it to... 


What you need:
* Cooking spray
* 10 cups light buttered popcorn (you can use plain as well)
* 1 cup of sugar
* 1 cup of corn syrup
*1/2 teaspoon baking soda
*1 package of kool-aid. Go for the color that will match your party.

Instructions:
*For Crunchier popcorn, preheat your oven to 225.
*Pour your 10 cups of popcorn into a greased bowl (spray with pam).
*Bring sugar, corn syrup, and kool-aid to a boil for about 6 minutes and continuously stir (picture 1.) *Next, take the mixture off of the heat and add the baking soda. This will make it puff up as seen in picture 2.
* Next, pour the mixture over the popcorn and evenly coat.

For softer and Chewier popcorn just take the popcorn and place it on a non stick mat or parchment paper to let it harden.

For crunchier popcorn continue to step 4 and place it in the oven at 225 for 30 minutes. This will help dry the popcorn out, giving it more of a candy coating vs a soft chewy coating. Once done, immediately place on parchment or a non stick mat to harden. Do not let it harden in the  pan or good luck trying to get it out ;).



To see more of this Rock-a-Bye Baby Shower click 

18 comments:

  1. Is it bad that I kinda want to make this for myself this weekend?? :p Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is seriously cool! Can you tell me how you made your popcorn cones? Scrapbook paper with a skewer? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so great! I am all over color coordinating all of the party foods and this is just perfection! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well that is the prettiest popcorn I have ever seen!!! And I am loving all of that chevron, so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is so darling! love your site bridget!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found you on Pinterest. What flavor kool aid did you use? You have the perfect color I'm looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found you via I Heart Naptime. Thanks for sharing this fun idea - my daughter's favorite snack = popcorn and her favorite color = blue! Her birthday is this Friday so I plan on surprising her with this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks great idea for a friend Baby shower or my Daughter sweet 16 she want everything blue 10000 thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How big is your package of kool aid? :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used just one small package you get for 25 cents

      Delete
  10. I love this idea! How far in advance can you make the popcorn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I say "popcorn" I meant with the kool-aid. :)

      Delete
    2. you can make it a couple days advance if you want it crunchier. It is great either way. but to be safe you can easily make it a day in advance. That is what i did and then we had left overs and just put it in zip lock bags and it lasted FOREVER!

      Delete
  11. have you made a shiny popcorn recipe like this with Jello instead of kool aid?

    will it work out about the same?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made it, but for some reason, mine had a very bitter after taste. Any idea what I did wrong?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...