Thursday, March 15, 2012

Ruffle Fabric Banner





I recently made this ruffle fabric banner for my spring decor and for a shabby chic princess party. It is very easy to make, even a beginner sewer like myself can do it. Let's get started...




HOW TO:

Start with your fabric of choice. I purchased all this fabric from a thrift store for a dollar so I worked the party around this fabric.


Cut slits at the end of your fabric to give you 4 inch stripes. The amount of stripes you need will vary depending on how long you want your banner to be. You need the same amount for the front and the back. I used 4 stripes for the front of my banner and 4 for the back. Remember after ruffling the fabric, it will shrink to about half of its size.

After I cut a little into the fabric, I then pull all the way to the end to give it that frayed look.


Now get 4 of the stripes and sew them together at the ends to create one long strip of fabric. Do the same with the other 4 strips for the back side.

Now the fun part. Get one of your long stripes and ruffle your fabric. I use my thumbs to bunch of the fabric as I run the fabric through the sewing machine. Continue this technique to the other long strip (the back side). This is also how I created the ruffles for the Princess Hats.


Once you have two long ruffle stripes, sew them together down the middle of the fabric. I chose to do it this way because I wanted to keep the frayed edges. Also this is important to double side it because if the banner turns at all when hanging it, you will want to see the right side of the fabric. Trust me, I tired it the more simple way and not creating the back side and it didn't look so pretty. 

If you don't want the frayed look then you can sew them wrong sides together before you ruffle the fabric. Then turn it right side out and ruffle your fabric.

You're done. This is great for those not-so-perfect sewers because the ruffle can hide some of your mistakes. Just saying :)

Linking here

3 comments:

  1. Cute idea! I think I need to give thrift stores a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that fabric! I want to make a table runner out of it. So cute! Did you find it at DI? I never get that lucky with the fabric there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great find of fabric...such a beautiful ruffled banner! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...